Click on any of the images to download the leaflet as a PDF. Check this page frequently to ensure you are using the latest version of our benefit leaflets.

Return to Potteries Gold main page

Disability benefits

Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance are non-means tested benefits to help disabled people with mobility and personal care needs. They can be paid whether you are working or not. If you are already claiming PIP or DLA when you reach Pension Age you can continue to claim them but if you get sick after Pension Age you will need to claim Attendance Allowance. If you qualify for any of these benefits and have someone who provides care for you, they may be able to claim Carers Allowance.

Guide to Claiming PIP 40 percent     Changing to PIP from DLA 40 percent     Guide to DLA for Children 40 percent     Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 40 percent     Benefits for Carers 40 percent     Severe Disability Premium 40 percent     Help with NHS charges 40 percent

 Benefits for Working Age People

If you are too sick to work you can claim benefits for money for everyday living costs such as food and bills. This could be ESA or Universal Credit depending on where you live and when you first claim.

 Guide to ESA 40 percent     Fit for Work 40 percent

 If you are able to work you will need to claim Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit depending on where you live and when you first claim.

January 2018 - please note that the DWP has suspended new claims for Universal Credit from now until the full service is rolled out. This will be June 2018 in Stoke. If you make a new claim in the meantime you will be invited to claim one of the 'legacy' benefits eg JSA, ESA. Anyone who is already claiming Universal Credit before January 2018 will stay on it.

In the gap between the temporary suspension of new claims for UC and the roll-out of full-digital UC, some people may be better off ending their claim for UC and going on legacy benefits. Our leaflet "Universal Credit changes from January 2018 - Can I end my claim for UC and claim other benefits instead?" looks at some of the pros and cons. If you think you may be better off switching, you need to get advice first as the wrong decision could leave you worse off and unable to switch back to UC until full digital UC is rolled out in your area.

   Guide to Universal Credit 40 percent     Universal Credit When will I have to claim 40 percent     Universal Credit Get ready for 40 percent     Universal Credit Changes from january 2018 40 percent        

 If you have children or if you work and need to claim benefits to top up your wages you may be eligible for Tax Credits or Universal Credit depending on where you live and when you claim.

Guide to Tax Credits     Tax Credit Changes for Families from April 2017 40 percent     Guide to The Benefit Cap 40 percent     Benefits and Living Together 40 percent    Benefits for victims of DV 40 percent    

Benefits for Older People

Benefits for Older People 40 percent     Guide to Attendance Allowance 40 percent     CTS for Older People 40 percent

Challenging Benefit Decisions

Our Appealing benefit decisions leaflet will tell you about the different stages of challenging a decision. The Benefit appeal tribunals leaflet has more information on the tribunal stage.

Guide to Appealing benefit decisions 40 percent     Guide to Benefit Appeal Tribunals 40 percent

 Return to Potteries Gold main page